Maintaining Your Evaporative Cooler/Swamp Cooler
Evaporative/swamp coolers are a great way to help keep your home cool during the hot Nevada summer months. It is important to keep these units properly serviced and fall and spring to ensure proper operation and efficiency. An HVAC professional can perform the following on your cooling unit.
Before summer starts:
- Reconnect the water line
- Check the pads for deterioration. New pads hold more water and make the swamp cooler more efficient. Pads should last between 3 – 5 years.
- Check the oil level in the blower motor.
- Check the blower wheel, inspecting the belt for proper tension and wear
- Inspect the pump and float for proper operation
- Inspect all the wiring for proper connection
At the end of the season, before it freezes:
- Turn off the water and disconnect the water line
- Clear the water lines to prevent them from freezing
- Drain the reservoir pan
- Install a cover to prevent cold air from entering your home
- Disconnect the power or shut off the thermostat (which ever is applicable)
As you can see, there is a lot that goes into proper maintenance and seasonal preparation for your evaporative/swamp cooler.
Call RC Temperature Control today at (775) 424-6644 to schedule your service appointment.